Explorer Band Windows 7
Mayayana
2011-02-17 02:12:04 UTC
Anyone know what's changed in Vista/7?

I have an Explorer Band/Explorer Bar that
loads into Explorer fine in Win98-WinXP.
(I've set ip up to load in Explorer Windows but
not in IE windows.)

On Win7 it doesn't appear and it's not listed
under View -> Explorer Bar, though it does
show up in IE as an enabled add-on. I notice
there's something called "Discuss" listed as
an option under View -> Explorer Bar, so
Explorer Bars seem to still be doable.
Leo Davidson
2011-02-17 05:01:30 UTC
   Anyone know what's changed in Vista/7?
I have an Explorer Band/Explorer Bar that
loads into Explorer fine in Win98-WinXP.
Have you compiled it as 32-bit while trying to load it into 64-bit
Explorer?
Mayayana
2011-02-17 15:21:03 UTC

No. It's 32-bit on 32-bit in all cases.
Mayayana
2011-02-25 23:07:35 UTC
I finally found the problem with this. Unsurprisingly,
Microsoft broke something in Vista/7 for no good
reason and then didn't document it. I only discovered
the problem due to a comment posted here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa753590(v=vs.85).aspx

The comment notes that these two keys must be
deleted:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\
Component Categories\{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Enum
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\
Component Categories\{00021494-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Enum

Sure enough, as soon as I did that my Explorer
Bar showed up and worked fine. So anyone writing
an Explorer Bar installer needs to add that Registry
operation. Also, there are other CLSIDs in that Reg.
key. Others may apply to other shell extensions.