Remote Desktop (RDP protocol) tool to run silkperformer in?
qa4ever
2010-05-28 07:55:20 UTC
I got a friend that have a question that you might able to answer.

They want to use Remote Desktop (RDP protocol) towards machines they want
to test on

With Borlands Silkperformer.

My friend says that the RDP protocol nowadays on WIN SRV 2008 you should be
able to use a tool or script language like VBScript to

In earlier versions of RDP it would have been imposible since what was sent
to client was only small chunks of bitmaps representing the remote machines
windows. i.e justa graphical representation and actually no windows API
objects/handles.

According to my friend, then, it would be possible to now get a tool that
Silkperformer could interact with by navigating the actual windows objects,
remotely. Do you know if such tool actually exist?

To me it sounds a bit like sience fiction because there is a lot of VM_*
messages that would probalby to need to be sent down to client from server
over slow network, however solution might not be to send VM_* messages down
to client but instead som sort of deskop-window-object?

I told him about tools like REMOTE and SERVER you use when you
remote debug (with NTSD for example) but he cannot use that he need to
navigate in the GUI with silkperformer.

WINVNC I don't think can navigate thru objects its again only bitmaps
shown.

Thanks,
qa4ever
Dee Earley
2010-05-28 11:48:35 UTC
Post by qa4ever
I got a friend that have a question that you might able to answer.
They want to use Remote Desktop (RDP protocol) towards machines they want
to test on
With Borlands Silkperformer.
My friend says that the RDP protocol nowadays on WIN SRV 2008 you should be
able to use a tool or script language like VBScript to
In earlier versions of RDP it would have been imposible since what was sent
to client was only small chunks of bitmaps representing the remote machines
windows. i.e justa graphical representation and actually no windows API
objects/handles.
According to my friend, then, it would be possible to now get a tool that
Silkperformer could interact with by navigating the actual windows objects,
remotely. Do you know if such tool actually exist?
I have no idea baout SilkPerformer, but RDP (Windows 7 to Server 2008)
is still image based. There are no "remote" window objects.
Post by qa4ever
To me it sounds a bit like sience fiction because there is a lot of VM_*
messages that would probalby to need to be sent down to client from server
over slow network, however solution might not be to send VM_* messages down
to client but instead som sort of deskop-window-object?
It's not Science fiction, X (used by Unix, Linux, and Mac I think) has
used that method for 20+ years.
--
Dee Earley (***@icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team